Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Cauliflower Pizza Recipe

I was on Facebook the other day -- surprise, surprise -- and saw a status update from one of my friends about substituting grated cauliflower for rice.  (Run a pound of cauliflower through a food processor, microwave it for 8 minutes, and you're ready to go.)  One of her friends then commented that you could also use it to make pizza crust.  Well, my curiosity was piqued.  I had to figure out just how to do that.  I googled "cauliflower pizza" and found a recipe.  But lest I posted a recipe that turned out to be nasty, I had to try it out first.  And, strangely enough, it works.  Well.  So, gentle readers, here's the recipe:

1 cup grated cauliflower
1 cup fat-free shredded mozzarella
1/2 cup egg beaters
Italian spices, to taste

Preheat oven to 450 F.  Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl and pour onto a non-stick sprayed cookie sheet.  Bake for 15-18 minutes (20-25 if you're doubling the recipe).  Take out of the oven, add sauce, toppings, and cheese, and broil until cheese is all melted.  Serves 4.


Notes:
  • We sprayed the pan, but the crust still stuck.  I'd suggest a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
  • It's easiest to run the cauliflower through a food processor.  It saves time, effort, and (for klutzes like me) knuckles.
  • Test the crust before you add your toppings -- the center may still be a little soft.  If so, bake it a little longer.
  • I decided to mix together fat-free cheddar and mozzarella in both the crust and the topping, and it worked quite well.
  • Don't eat it too quickly -- it will grow in your stomach, and you'll stuff yourself if you're not careful.
  • I used about 1/2 cup of Classico Tomato & Basil marinara sauce and about 1 cup of shredded cheese to top it -- for those of you on Weight Watchers, that comes to 3 PointsPlus per piece.  (And yes, two pieces is 6 PointsPlus.)  Obviously, if you add meat, it will also add points.
Enjoy!  And if you have any other suggestions or recipes you'd like to share, I'd love to hear about them!

No comments:

Post a Comment